Flavor by Fire: Recipes and Techniques for Bigger, Bolder BBQ and Grilling (Hardcover)
In Derek Wolf’s first book, Food by Fire, he shared the how-to behind starting and cooking with various types of cooking fires, as well as skillets, skewers, and more. Now he’s ready to take you on another culinary adventure—but this time it’s all about flavor. From instant classics like Chipotle Peppercorn Smoked Brisket to envelope-pushing Chile Con Limon Candied Bacon, the recipes offer lots of variety. All the major tastes—salty, sour, sweet, bitter, and umami—are explored in depth. Derek also leads an investigation of other components you should consider when it comes to flavor, such as aroma, heat, and texture.
Each chapter explores a specific protein’s taste and flavor considerations and then tours through impressive recipes including:
- Beef: Beer Marinated Bavette Steak with Creamy Corn Salsa, Coal Roasted Hanger Steaks with Thai Chili Sauce, Black Garlic New York Strips with Bone Marrow Butter, Spiced Rum-Marinated Tri-Tip
- Pork: Cotija Crusted Pork Skewers, Cocoa Molasses-Glazed Spiral Ham, Loaded Chorizo Sandwich with Chilean Inspired Pebre
- Chicken/Turkey: Rotisserie Chicken with Alabama White Sauce, Maple Whiskey Chicken Lollipops, Smoked Tequila Lime Spatchcocked Chicken, Honey Habanero Rotisserie Turkey Legs, Smoked Spiced Whole Turkey
- Fish/Seafood: Garlic-Crusted Tuna with Spicy Avocado Salsa, Baked Lobster with Buffalo Chive Butter, Coal-Roasted Lemon Herb Trout, Sweet Tomatillo Grilled Salmon, Seared Scallops with Beer Pan Sauce, Honey Sriracha Shrimp Skewers, Fire-Crusted Oysters Kilpatrick
- Game/Lamb/Duck: Cast-Iron Bison Ribeyes with Caramelized Red Wine Onions, Bison Steak Frites with Spicy Gremolata Butter, Coffee Crusted Elk Medallions, Hanging Leg of Lamb with Chimichurri Aioli, Smoked Honey Cider Lamb Ribs, Seared Duck Breast with Black Cherry Tamarind Sauce
With features on topics like brining, working with citrus, using alcohol in marinades, and more, you’re sure to both build on what you know and learn something new. No matter what flavors call to you, cooking over the fire will never be the same.
Derek Wolf is the man behind Over The Fire Cooking: a website, video, and social media phenomenon dedicated to bringing fire, food, and people together. Derek, along with his wife, Ally, frequently travels around the world to learn new techniques and recipes, works with various brands, from Cowboy Charcoal to Oklahoma Joe’s, and has multiple bestselling spice lines with Spiceology.
Derek is the author of Flavor by Fire and Food by Fire and has been featured everywhere from Forbes and Men's Health to Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire. In addition to his original recipes and videos, Derek builds community by cooking at festivals and through his pages, by featuring the adventures of other fire-cooking enthusiasts who inspire him. Most weeks, you can still find him working on new recipes, then producing and showcasing them on his website and socials.
Check out more of Derek’s work on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and more at @OverTheFireCooking, or visit him at OverTheFireCooking.com.
Multi-award-winning author, journalist, cooking teacher, and TV host, Steven Raichlen is the man who reinvented barbecue. His best-selling Barbecue Bible cookbook series and The Primal Grill and Barbecue University(tm) TV shows on PBS have helped people all over the world ascend the ladder of grilling enlightenment.
—From the foreword by Steven Raichlen, host of Project Fire
“Whether you are a pitmaster, chef, or avid home cook who likes playing with fire, Derek's techniques, recipes, and love of cooking outdoors will inspire you.”—Michael Symon, James Beard Award Winning Chef, restauranteur, and Food Network host
“This book uses grilling and barbecue recipes as a baseline, twisting them with new and exciting flavors from around the world."—Brad Prose, founder of Chiles & Smoke
“The first words out of my mouth as I read this book were, "Bone Marrow Butter…dang!” Flavor x Fire is packed full of incredible tips, tricks, and recipes.”
—Sarah Glover, internationally recognized chef and author of Wild: Adventure Cookbook