The Acting Bible: The Complete Resource for Aspiring Actors (Hardcover)
Professional acting is both an art and a business, and this book advises beginning actors on how to cope successfully on both fronts. Opening chapters describe the difficulties every budding actor encounters and explains basic acting techniques, which include memory exercises and methods for developing stage presence. Chapters that follow instruct in—
- Reading the play with understanding and learning to build the character that the actor will be portraying
- Developing the actor's voice, imitating regional accents, and more
- Expressing the character's thoughts and ideas through body posture and movement
- Adapting acting techniques to different media: stage, film, TV, and radio
- Learning the business side of acting by selling one's talents effectively
The author strips away preconceptions and clichés often associated with acting, and pinpoints common mistakes that inexperienced actors need to overcome and avoid. More than 300 instructive illustrations.