The Online Teaching Survival Guide: Simple and Practical Pedagogical Tips (Paperback)
A timely update to the best-selling, practical, and comprehensive guide to online teaching
The Online Teaching Survival Guide provides a robust overview of theory-based techniques for teaching online or technology-enhanced courses. This Third Edition is a practical resource for educators learning to navigate the online teaching sector. It presents a framework of simple, research-grounded instructional strategies that work for any online or blended course. This new edition is enhanced with hints on integrating problem-solving strategies, assessment strategies, student independence, collaboration, synchronous strategies, and building metacognitive skills. This book also reviews the latest research in cognitive processing and related learning outcomes.
New and experienced online teachers alike will appreciate this book's exploration of essential technologies, course management techniques, social presence, community building, discussion and questioning techniques, assessment, debriefing, and more. With more and more classes being offered online, this book provides a valuable resource for taking your course to the next level.
- Understand the technology used in online teaching and discover how you can make the most of advanced features in the tech you use
- Learn specialized pedagogical tips and practices that will make the shift to online teaching smoother for you and your students
- Examine new research on cognition and learning, and see how you can apply these research findings your day-to-day
- Adopt a clear framework of instructional strategies that will work in any online or blended setting
- Learn how to make the most of your synchronous online class meetings using flipped model techniques integrated with asynchronous conversation
Recently, schools across the globe have experienced a shift to online courses and teaching. The theories and techniques of synchronous virtual online teaching are vastly different from traditional educational pedagogy. You can overcome the learning curve with this theory-based, hands-on guide.