Leading at a Distance: Practical Lessons for Virtual Success (Hardcover)
A timely and hands-on resource informed by lessons learned from Fortune 500 CEOs and executives
Leading at a Distance provides executives with the necessary skills to successfully lead in the new virtual workplace, backed by the research and expertise of global leadership firm Spencer Stuart. Although working remotely is not new, the global pandemic has placed virtual work at the center of everyday life. And it has thrust workforce strategies to the core of business operations globally. As the shift towards large-scale virtual work continues to grow and become a permanent fixture--by some estimates, 30% of the workforce will be working virtually - leaders must understand how to build virtual work environments that foster connected, engaged, and high-performing teams. Although some forward-thinking companies and not-for-profit organizations have made significant investments in technology and virtual collaboration, many others have simply joined the "Zoom culture" without fully appreciating what it takes to operate effectively at a distance on a sustained basis.
Leading at a Distance is a timely, research-based, and highly practical guide for developing and implementing strategies for conducting high-impact virtual work, building trust, and enhancing team unity. Designed to help leaders shape organizational culture remotely, this must-have resource demonstrates how to conduct virtual onboarding for senior leaders, build top teams from a distance, manage accountability in the new virtual environment, and much more. A hands-on toolkit filled with compelling examples, expert insights, and invaluable advice, this book:
- Provides clear guidance on establishing effective leadership in the virtual workplace
- Offers practical approaches for establishing strong relationships, increasing employee engagement, and coaching from a distance
- Addresses ways to keep geographically dispersed team members aligned and accountable
- Illustrates creative ideas for boosting team morale
- Features an overview of the unique challenges facing leaders in the virtual workplace
- Discusses often-overlooked topics such as virtual hiring and onboarding
Leveraging the authors' in-depth research and consulting experience, Leading at a Distance is required reading for anyone needing to adapt to a virtual way of working and develop their virtual leadership skills to maximize organizational effectiveness and performance.