Stone Harbor Revisited (Paperback)
In 1722, Seven Mile Beach, covered in red cedar and holly, bayberry bushes and beach plums, was acquired by the Leaming family, who used it for grazing and whaling. Long undeveloped, the southern portion of the island was sold to the South Jersey Realty Company in 1907. The Risley brothers sold bonds to support their vision of a seaside resort serving the wealthy of Philadelphia. Dunes were leveled, roads laid out, and basins dredged, creating the ideal vacation destination. Grand hotels shared space with workmen's cottages, and businesses sprang up to serve the crowds who flocked to Stone Harbor. The maritime ties of the community are evident in the long history of the Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, which traces its beginnings to as early as 1895. The clubhouse, built in 1909 and standing on its original site, is host to sailing and social activities throughout the year.