Dancing Is the Best Medicine: The Science of How Moving to a Beat Is Good for Body, Brain, and Soul (Paperback)
"Lively and enlightening."-Sarah L. Kaufman, Washington Post " A] zippy guide to better health."--Publisher's Weekly STARRED Review Discover why humans were designed for dancing--and learn how to boogie for better health--with two neuroscientists as your guide. Dancing is one of the best things we can do for our health. In this groundbreaking and fun-to-read book, two neuroscientists (who are also competitive dancers) draw on their cutting-edge research to
- reveal why humans are hardwired for dance
- show how to achieve optimal health through dancing
Taking readers on an in-depth exploration of movement and music, from early humans up until today, the authors show the proven benefits of dance for our heart, lungs, bones, nervous system, and brain. Readers will come away with a wide range of dances to try and a scientific understanding of how dance benefits almost every aspect of our lives.
- Dance prevents and manages illness and pain: such as Diabetes, arthritis, back pain, and Parkinson's.
- Dance can be as effective as high intensity interval training: but without the strain on your joints and heart.
- Dance boosts immunity and lowers stress: it also helps reduce inflammation.
- Dance positively impacts the microbiome: and aids in digestion, weight loss, and digestive issues such as IBS.
- Dance bolsters the mind-body connection: helping us get in tune with our bodies for better overall health.
- Partner dance (salsa, swing dancing, waltz)
- Hip hop
- Line dancing
- Tap dancing
- And more