Strategic Management for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry: Developing a Competitive Advantage (Hardcover)
This vital volume clearly explains cutting-edge theories and views on strategic management in applied management fundamentals in the hospitality and tourism industry. The author discusses the latest in strategic thinking and provides information on implementing models within specific contexts, such as culture and profit and nonprofit organizations. He also looks at the political, economic, social, and technological changes that significantly affect tourism and hospitality. The volume is distinguished by its thoughtful analysis and review of related hospitality case studies and the management approaches employed and sheds light on ever-the emerging management and operation issues in the tourism and hospitality sector.
The book employs an abundance of case studies that illustrate the concepts and models discussed, with examples from such heavyweights in the industry as Disney and Euro Disney, Aer Lingus, British Airways, Four Seasons, Holiday Inn, Marriot, Sofitel, Starwood Hotels, and more. Key features of the book include:
- Cutting-edge approach: Applies advanced and recent strategic management views to the tourism and hospitality field.
- Critical treatment: Provides critical discussions about whether and how strategic models/theories can be applied in the hospitality and tourism field.
- Sensitive to specific contexts: As the tourism and hospitality industry has become one of the largest industries worldwide, discusses how strategic management concepts can be applied in different cultures and profit and nonprofit tourism organizations.
- Extensive case studies: Provides supporting case studies related to the strategy content, context, and process from international industries such as Aer Lingus, Accor, Marriott and Ryanair.
- Organization of the book: Each of the chapters within the case study sections employs a thorough pedagogic structure consisting of a concise introduction, examples and case analysis, discussion points, exercises, and further reading.
This book is designed to provoke thought and debate about strategic management and myriad other issues. It will be valuable for students, academics, universities offering hospitality and tourism, and hospitality and tourism professionals.