Barley is Better: 160 Recipes and 100 Vegan Alternatives made with the World's Healthiest Grain (Hardcover)
Think barley's only for soup? Think again
From crepes to curry, smoothies to stir fries, chili to chapati, and straight on through bagels, dumplings, pudding, waffles, salads, omelets, and tastes from around the world, this grain can do it all
In this colorful and beginner-friendly recipe book, Rosemary and Walt Newman will show you how to buy barley, handle it, and use it to prepare delicious and healthy food for every meal of the day. Simple instructions and easy-to-use nutritional info make choosing and preparing a meal a pleasure.
Drawing on their combined 50 years of experience as PhD barley researchers, Rosemary and Walt also share their knowledge of barley's history, its cultural importance, and its unique nutritional properties that can help you reduce cholesterol, maintain a healthy weight, and prevent diabetes.
A great gift for both meat-eaters and vegans, this comprehensive recipe book includes:
- 160 healthy recipes from cultures around the globe, including main courses, side dishes, salads, soups, breakfasts, breads, and desserts
- 100 vegan alternatives, individually developed and tested by a vegan nutritionist
- Easy-to-use nutritional information for all recipes, allowing you to quickly find recipes for specific needs (such as high fibre, low calorie, low cholesterol, or any ratio of fats, proteins, and carbs)
- Clear and simple directions, with every recipe including US and metric measurements, total prep time, a list of implements, and instructions for storage
- Fascinating scientific, historical, and cultural facts about barley, delivered in bite-sized portions throughout the book, alongside beautiful color photos
- Instructions on buying, storing, handling, and cooking with barley
- To complement the vegan recipes, a guide to purchasing and using vegan ingredients that can help even a beginner make the transition to cooking vegan meals
Open up Barley is Better, and take a fresh look at an ancient grain